Quick Tip: How to Effectively use Gatekeepers to your Advantage
by Steve Schilling
Gatekeepers are individuals who control access to decision makers within an organization. They can be a significant obstacle for sales professionals when prospecting, as they often have the ability to block or redirect sales calls and emails. However, with the right approach, it is possible to effectively navigate gatekeepers and gain access to decision makers. With appropriate planning and preparation, you can even turn Gatekeepers into your greatest advantage.
Here are some tips for using gatekeepers effectively when sales prospecting:
1. Be respectful and polite: Gatekeepers are often inundated with calls and emails from sales professionals and can be wary of being overwhelmed or taken advantage of. By being respectful and polite, you can establish a positive relationship with the gatekeeper and increase the likelihood of gaining access to the decision maker.
2. Show value: In order to gain access to the decision maker, it is important to clearly communicate the value that your product or service offers to the organization. This can help to convince the gatekeeper that it is worth the decision maker’s time to speak with you.
3. Use your network: If you have a personal connection to the organization or the decision maker, try to leverage that connection to gain access. This could be through a mutual acquaintance or through a shared professional or personal interest.
4. Be persistent, but not pushy: It is important to be persistent in following up with gatekeepers, as they are often busy and may not respond to your initial outreach. However, it is also important to be respectful of their time and not be overly pushy or aggressive.
5. Use the gatekeeper as a resource: Rather than simply trying to bypass the gatekeeper, consider using them as a resource to learn more about the organization and the decision maker’s needs and priorities. This can help to build a relationship and increase the chances of gaining access in the future.
By following these tips, sales professionals can effectively navigate gatekeepers and increase their chances of success in prospecting.
To learn more and about this and other selling best practices, contact Growth Orbit today. Call (770) 881-8408 or contact us.